Advocacy is taking action to help people say what they want, secure their rights, represent their interests and help them to get the support they need.

An advocate is someone who supports a person who is vulnerable and helps them to have their say.

There are different types of advocacy services, but an advocate is generally independent and free from conflicts of interest.

Independent Care Act advocacy

The Care Act 2014 places a duty on local authorities, to ensure that a person is fully involved in their assessment, review, support plan and/or safeguarding enquiry.

If a person is likely to have 'substantial difficulty' in being involved and do not have an 'appropriate person' to support and represent them, then we have a duty to arrange independent advocacy.

Information about independent advocacy support in Derbyshire can be found on Derbyshire County Council’s website.

NHS independent complaints advocacy

This service provides independent support to help any adult who wants to make a complaint about an NHS funded service either about their own treatment or that of a family member, child or carer. It helps people to understand their rights, assist with complaints, applications and support people at meetings.

To access the service, contact Cloverleaf Advocacy:

This service is free and confidential.